LIFE SUFFICIENT LIVES
Live in the now, live knowing the god of tomorrow. Rev, George Varughese
Bible Verse Series
19 And my God will supply [a]all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
Word Study 1:
- Will supply
- πληρόω pléroó
- I fill, fulfill, complete.
- Cognate: 4137 plēróō (from plērēs, “be full,” see 4130 /plḗthō) – properly, fill to individual capacity, i.e. to the extent it is “meet” (appropriate). See 4130 (plēthō).
Word Study 2:
- all, the whole, every kind of.
- HELPS Word-studies
- 3956 pás – each, every; each “part(s) of a totality” (L & N, 1, 59.24).
- 3956 /pás (“each, every”) means “all” in the sense of “each (every) part that applies.” The emphasis of the total picture then is on “one piece at a time.” –365 (ananeóō) then focuses on the part(s) making up the whole – viewing the whole in terms of the individual parts.
Word Study 3:
- 5532, χρεία, ας, ἡ chreia
- need, necessity, business.
12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. Philippians 4:12
12 I know how to get along and live humbly [in difficult times], and I also know how to enjoy abundance and live in prosperity. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret [of facing life], whether well-fed or going hungry, whether having an abundance or being in need. Philippians 4:12 (AMP)
- I am not able to make you any returns, but I pray that my God would recompence it to you, that as you have supplied my want, he would supply all yours;
- Is not a license to live a lavish life
Context and meaning:
Focus is on
- my God
- Your needs
If we want to enjoy Paul’s blessings
- we must know His God
- We must live like paul lived
How Did Paul Live?
- a life lived in God through Christ
- A life of contentment
- A life subjected to the environment.
- A life without complaint in much or lack
THE PROBLEM OF MAN:
1. Influenced by the media to have greed
15 Then He said to them, “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.” (NASB)
15 And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness,[a] for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” Luke 12:15
2. Pressure to live beyond our means to be accepted by others
3. Find acceptance by others
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want. Psalms 23:1
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell[a] in the house of the Lord
Forever. Psalms 23:6
HOW TO LIVE?
1. Find God the source of our life
2. Live rooted in God
3. Live by God’s values
- live in contentment
- Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6
- live without worry
- 25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Matthew 6:25,26
- live trusting in god
- live knowing god will provide