“Pride comes before a fall, humility comes before glory.” Rev. George Varughese
“Self humility first, submission to God foremost, keys to a victorious life” Rev. George Varughese
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
29/9 4.05 am
A. How then we should live?
1. Victorious Living
- Saviour based living
- Scripture based living
- Spirit based living
2. Victorious Thinking. To appropriate Jesus victory.
3. Victorious Posture.
4. Victorious Action. WWJD what would Jesus do?
B. How then we should not live?
1. Satan syndrome. Life conscious of Satan
2. Sin syndrome. Life conscious of sin
3. Slave syndrome. Living with a defeated mindset
Key Lessons for a Victorious Life
1. Destructive power of pride
pride: exaltation of self and self agenda for self glory
- (a) cause of strive among brethren. cannot live in peace James 4:1
- (b) cause of violence among brethren. murder and covet James 4:2
- (c) life lived apart from God. James 4:2,3
- selfish prayers or
- no prayer
- (d) life lived in self gratification. friendship with the world James 4:4
1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet[a] you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and[b] adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? James 4:1-5
2. Embrace God-humility – Antidote to defeated life of pride
humility: life lived by lowering self and self interest and promoting God interest and interest for others
- God’s verdict
- God abhors proud but graces the humble James 4:6
- Self submission to God. Not an impulsive decision but a thought through, committed decision James 4:7,8
- Repentant lives
- repent from sin
- by repentant attitude – purifying heart
- Godly sorrow
- Life of victory from self James 4:10
- Life of victory from satan James 4:10
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”[c]
Humility Cures Worldliness
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:1-10